WSET Level 3 Course £675
"I studied with Ruth at Clifton Wine School for my West level 3 qualification. Every session was a lot of fun, and the wines were well chosen and interesting. We learnt a lot each time, and it never felt too much like hard work! I’d gladly study with Ruth again for further qualifications, and I continue to send my staff to her for their Wset level 2 and 3 courses as they always seem to do well and enjoy themselves."
Richard Tring, Director, Bath Street Bars
Our award-winning WSET training will give you the edge in the employment market.
In Novemeber 2018 we won a Crumbs award. The judges chose us because of our great testimonials and students who went on to win international recognition. They praised us as “highly valuable to the industry” thanks to “real expertise”.
Our local wine school network also won the Riedel’s WSET Educator of the Year in 2015 and members of our network have been nominated and gone on to win in subsequent yeats.
The WSET courses provide nationally-recognised qualifications for Wine Industry professionals and enthusiastic amateurs. The course is examined and certificated within the QCF (Qualification and Credit Framework) and by the UK Government’s Qualifications & Curriculum Authority as a Level 3 Vocational Qualification. This qualification provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress on to the Diploma Level 4.
The Level 3 Award in Wines is a course designed for anyone wishing to gain in-depth knowledge of wines and spirits and build upon the knowledge gained at Intermediate level (Level 2). You will acquire a thorough understanding of the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wines from key wine producing regions of the world. You will also develop analytical tasting skills using the systematic approach to tasting, your blind tasting skills will form part of the examinations.
Important Entry Information: We recommend this course to those who have already completed the WSET Level 2 Wines course, as this syllabus assumes that candidates already possess a good basic understanding of simple wine making techniques, key grape varieties and viticultural patterns. However, holding WSET Level 2 is not a requirement to enroll on this course- for anyone who wishes to enter the WSET programme at Level 3 without prior study, we strongly advise them to review the course specification. Please also feel free to contact us to discuss the most appropriate course for your needs.
If you are an employer wishing to train your staff, this course will equip them with knowledge and understanding of a wide range of products. This course is suitable for someone in a supervisory level position in wine sales and service.
- Wine Tasting; Taste, describe and analyse wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching; A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Labelling; Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Wine Production; Learn about the production factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine from vineyard to bottling
- Light Wines; Learn about the styles of wines produced in the key wine regions and districts of the world: France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Germany, Greece, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, North and South America, England and Hungary
- Sparkling Wines; Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of sparkling wines from the key wine producing countries: France, Spain, Italy, Germany, New World - Australia, California, New Zealand, South Africa
- Fortified Wines; Learn about the methods of production/main styles of fortified wines from the key wine countries: Spain, Portugal, France, Australia
- Number of Wines Tasted; 70-80 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials for Students; will receive a Level 3 Advanced course study pack, consisting of the course book, study guide and SAT tasting card
- Duration of course; 7 DAYS - 6 Full days Tuition & tasting - 11am to 6pm plus 1 day for the exam - 11am to 3 pm (Over 50 hours fully tutored compared with some providers 32 hours)
- Recommended Private Study; 56 hours additional private study is recommended for this course. It is strongly recommended that the majority of the private study is done weekly in preparation for the tutored study session
- Modes of Study; 7 Days - Usually over 7 Weeks. Exam on Final Day.
- Examination; The Level 3 examination comprises of two parts: Part one will be a combined theory paper consisting of a 50 question multiple-choice section and a short writtten answer section (four main topics and a shorter 5 mark question). Part two will be a blind tasting of two wines. A mark of 55% is required in each section to pass
- Certification; All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin
Course Tutor: Ruth Wiles
Ruth is an registered WSET Educator, she has completed all the levels of the WSET programme including the WSET Diploma (Level 4) in 2009. She has extensive experience within the wine industry and has been teaching WSET for over 8 years.
This in-depth and intensive course is the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 3 Award in Wines (formerly known as the Advance Certificate) and is intended as vocational training in
Places remaining: 14
Date/Time: 7th Feb 2021 at 11am - 6pm
Venue: Radisson Blu Hotel, BS1 4BY